How can you drive digital transformation successfully?
In today’s volatile economy, digital transformation is required for every business that wants to survive and succeed.
However, what does digital transformation entail?
And where do you begin?
Below, we will explore 10 tips that can help you better understand digital transformation.
And – more importantly – successfully drive digital transformation in your business.
10 Tips that Can Help You Successfully Drive Digital Transformation
Here are some must-have ingredients for successfully driving digital transformation:
This is the era of the customer experience.
The digital landscape has dramatically changed the playing field when it comes to customer-brand interactions.
For instance, technology has:
- Enabled new levels of personalized customer experiences
- Fueled higher expectations when it comes to brand experiences
- Given customers more choice – and more power – than ever before
In other words, the customer experience has become a competitive differentiator and a main focus for successful digital transformation efforts.
2. True digital adoption
Digital adoption goes beyond “software deployment” or “implementation.”
Today’s businesses are beginning to understand that a software platform’s value depends on several things, such as:
- User proficiency and time-to-competency
- A streamlined user experience
- How extensively a platform is utilized
True digital adoption, therefore, focuses on maximizing these areas through streamlining onboarding, employee training, and the user experience.
3. A clear strategy and vision
It is critical to develop a clear vision of a transformation effort’s end goal.
That vision should be the foundation of a long-term, goal-oriented strategy.
A clearly articulated vision will help align business units, give employees a sense of purpose, and keep the organization on track.
Having a vision, in other words, will act as a beacon that can maintain focus even during tumultuous changes.
4. Innovating with the latest technology
Implementing technology is one thing – innovating with technology is something else entirely.
Businesses should strive to do more than just “keep up.”
Effective digital transformation often requires:
- Innovations across many business functions
- Rapid change
Technology can become the catalyst for developing new, innovative business processes, products, services, and much more.
5. Transform people, not just technology
Culture can have a dramatic impact on the success of digital transformation agendas.
Organizational culture, after all, affects:
- Workers’ beliefs, assumptions, and values
- Their behavior and attitudes
- How they respond to change
- How well they learn new processes, workflows, or tools
Among other things.
6. Becoming adaptable and agile
Agility is a key trait of today’s most successful companies.
Agile business processes – like agile software development – focus on:
- Working solutions and products
Factors such as these take precedence over traditional business processes, which tend to be more rigid, static, and inflexible.
In an era driven by continuous cycles of change, agility is a survival trait – not a luxury.
7. Managing change … continuously
Organizational change and digital transformation go hand-in-hand.
Businesses that can effectively manage change will reap a number of benefits, such as:
- Improved outcomes of change projects
- Less waste and greater project efficiency
- Improved employee support and less resistance
Among other things.
The more advanced the change management function, the more effectively and efficiently an organization will be able to transform.
8. Develop business models that are relevant to the digital age
Yesterday’s business models won’t hold up in the digital era.
Previously, successful businesses built and maintained long-term market positions, products, and services.
Such business models worked when technology advanced slowly.
To stay successful, organizations must stay relevant by:
- Reinventing the way they engage customers and deliver value
- Reimagine the very nature of their business – from its culture to its processes
- Redesign business models that are adaptable, lean, and agile
In an economy built around rapid innovation and disruption, organizations that want to stay relevant must redesign their businesses.
9. Create a roadmap for digital transformation
With a clear vision, strategy, and goals, organizations can then design a roadmap for change.
This roadmap will outline the short- and long-term aims of digital transformation agendas.
In some cases, this will involve total organizational transformation – a series of interwoven organizational changes that encompass every area of the business.
Regardless of the complexity of the project, however, a roadmap offers the same benefits as an articulated strategy:
- Aligning business functions
- Establishing a clear, stage-based action plan
- Delegating roles and responsibilities
- Articulating expectations, aims, deadlines, and objectives
Documented roadmaps act as key references for all stakeholders. They provide much-needed structure during organizational transformations, which can often be chaotic and taxing.
10. Understand what the future holds for technology and your industry
Finally – or perhaps first and foremost – businesses should understand what the future holds for their industry.
There are countless research firms that analyze and predict upcoming trends for virtually every industry.
The World Economic Forum, for example, has performed in-depth research on multiple industries, outlining:
- Current and future digital transformation trends
- How technology will affect these industries in the coming years
- Recommendations for business leaders
Information such as this can and should inform decision-making around digital transformation strategy.
After all, unless a business knows what its future market will look like, it will be nearly impossible to successfully drive digital transformation.