What are the most important digital transformation technologies in 2019?
A report by IDG defined the idea of “the digital business.”
Get your Free Digital Adoption Certificate
In their report, they outlined:
- What a digital business is
- Why digital-first business strategies matter
- Where digital-first companies allocate their spending
- The drivers of digital transformation
- Which technologies earn the most investment and attention
This is what we will explore below.
Namely, we will discover:
- What technologies digital-first companies consider the most important
- Why these technologies matter
- How they will affect us in the years to come
And, finally, we will look at why digital adoption strategies matter … regardless of the technology you choose.
The Top Digital Transformation Technologies in 2019
Below are some of the technologies considered most important by IDG’s respondents.
For each technology, we’ll explain what it is and why that technology is so critical to business growth.
5G is a big step up from 4G.
This cellular network technology will dramatically increase cellular network speeds.
These speed increases will certainly improve user experiences.
Just as importantly, though, it will decrease latency – or lag.
Together, these factors will provide the bandwidth necessary for other technologies, such as self-driving cars and smart cities.
Today, 5G is still in its early stages, but it was considered the most important technology by IDG’s survey participants.
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Artificial Intelligence (AI) has already changed the technology game.
It is used in a variety of modern technologies, including:
- Search engines
- Image recognition
- Shopping recommendations
- Marketing personalization
- Digital adoption platforms
And much more.
Augment Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR)
AR and VR are still in the works and have yet to become mainstream.
However, the tech giants are investing heavily in these technologies.
Apple has been working on AR behind closed doors for years now.
Microsoft has already released the Hololens, which is finding applications in certain industrial arenas.
Though AR and VR are still in their infancy, the technology will soon hit the mainstream marketplace.
And when it does, expect massive changes to the internet.
Internet of Things (IoT)
The IoT is another major force that will change the way we live and work.
It will allow virtually any device to be connected to the internet, from home appliances to self-driving cars.
The IoT, combined with 5G, will enable smart homes, smart cities, and other smart infrastructures.
Along with the other technologies mentioned here, it will change the way we live and work.
- A smart refrigerator, for instance, can automatically order food for you when necessary
- Smart cars will be able to communicate with one another, helping them drive more safely
- Smart cities will manage resources more effectively, reducing waste and decreasing the impact on the environment
For businesses, it represents another great opportunity.
Software-Defined Storage, Networking, and WAN
Software-defined applications such as these allow software to be separated from the underlying hardware.
- Software-defined storage helps manage data storage independently of the hardware, through virtualization
- Software-defined networking allows network control to be abstracted from the network infrastructure
- Software-defined WAN, likewise, decouples WAN control from the hardware
Software-defined technologies such as these help to simplify IT operations, increase efficiency, and streamline procedures.
Bots can mean a variety of things, such as:
- Chatbots – Software that conducts automated conversations with customers or users
- RPA – Robotic Process Automation, or bots that automate repetitive tasks
- Web Bots – Web bots automate internet tasks, such as data collection or software testing
As with any other automation tool, bots increase efficiency, reduce error rates, and save money.
Also, they help free up human time for more valuable activities.
Cloud computing represents the shift from dedicated servers to abstracted, virtual servers.
However, in today’s complex IT environment, many enterprises must work with multiple cloud providers.
Multicloud integrates these disparate cloud solutions into a single architecture.
The benefits of this approach include diversification of vendors, backups, risk management, and regulatory compliance.
Though the approach is not problem-free, the benefits outweigh the costs.
And, for many companies, it is even necessary.
Putting It All Together
The adoption of new technology is no easy task.
Digital transformation requires financial investments, change management, leadership, and much more.
For software alone, the digital adoption process requires:
- Assessments, analyses, and planning. From the outset, companies must analyze problems, assess risks, and develop digital adoption strategies.
- Digital adoption, training, and onboarding. Effective digital adoption means implementing digital adoption solutions, training programs, and sophisticated change strategies.
- Project management and maintenance. As with any complex organizational change, digital adoption requires ongoing support, adjustment, and maintenance.
Regardless of the digital technology being implemented – whether it is a new multicloud solution or an automation tool – enterprises must plan their adoption carefully.
Effective digital adoption can literally make or break a digital transformation project.
The right adoption approach will decrease onboarding friction, reduce resistance, and streamline the overall process.
When choosing which technologies to focus on in the coming years, pay equal attention to how that technology is adopted.
The post Top Digital Transformation Technologies that Fuel Growth in 2019 appeared first on Digital Adoption.